Thursday, December 29, 2016

Christmas, Kwanzaa, and The New Year

Today's post is just an update.  Nothing too interesting.  
I hope everyone has had a wonderful holiday! Ours is not quite over yet, we have decided to observe Kwanzaa.  I say observe and not "celebrate" because we aren't lighting the candles, reciting poetry, or wearing the dashikis this year.  We are, however, discussing the Nguzo Saba (Seven Principles) and attempting to live by them.  My dad has even tried to teach us a Kwanzaa song.
It's different, but next year I think we will actually celebrate it.  It's a beautiful celebration, and it is the first African- American holiday recognized in America.  So there is defintely some history and meaning behind it! It'll be nice to come together for a week and celebrate heritage, education, family, and life.

We still celebrated Christmas, since Kwanzaa doesn't begin until December 26.  We visited all our family on Christmas Eve and ran away on a mini-vactation that night! The kids were spoiled rotten, and so was I. I believe my husband was spoiled a good bit as well.   And our hotel continuously baked fresh cookies.  I enjoyed that perk more than anyone else!  Our Christmas could not have gone more perfect.

Since we took an adventure for Christmas, we will stay home for the New Year.  We will write resolutions, pig out, play games, drink wine, watch TV, light fireworks, and enjoy our family time.  It's the same thing we do every New Year, and it is the best way to bring in a New Year! Together, optimistic, and at home.  

HAPPY HOLIDAYS, EVERYONE! 
I will be back on regular schedule January 2, 2017...



No comments:

Post a Comment