Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Kitchen Creations: Fried Steak Ka-bobs


So I've been trying to find a way to cook steaks and give them the "grilled" taste when a grill isn't available.  I am slowly realizing that may not be possible, but I did find a super cool way to make them: frying them! 
And no, I'm not talking country fried; I mean regular fried.  And we actually enjoyed it more than skillet steak (which is our go-to for steak).  It's not the healthiest, but it is definitely something we will do again.  

Before I begin I'd like to add that I cooked both skillet and fried steak yesterday.  I had the skillet as back up (just in case frying it was a complete failure), but I ended up just comparing the two instead. 
The skillet is juicier and softer; it also had the possibility to range from rare to well
The fried is a bit more tender and more flavorful; it cooks really fast so it was well done after about 3 minutes. 

Here's how I made our fried steak ka-bobs!  (Ingredients are in bold)
First I marinated the steak for 4 hours - you can do more or less. More time= more flavor. Less time=less flavor.  I poke holes in the steak before marinating (see the picture below of me threatening the steak with a knife, haha!) , I think it helps absorb the flavor, but that's optional...
 I'm pretty sure any marinade will work for frying, but my marinade was sweet and tangy if you want to try: 

11/2 Worcestershire 
1/2 Cup Catalina Dressing
1 Cup Italian Dressing

1 Cap full of Lemon Juice

I also used this time to chop up our veggies.  We used green peppers and onions, because I knew that they would take the same amount of time to cook as the steak. Use whatever you want here, but note that if you're cooking potatoes they'll have to fry longer than the steak. 


When to do when it is time to cook:
1. Fill pan halfway with oil 
2. Heat oil- should sizzle and bubble when you add water or a pinch of flour
3.Take steak out of fridge
4. Take steak out of marinade, draining excess marinade off of it 
5. Season steak to taste. We are huge garlic fans. So we used garlic powder, black powder, and salt.
6. Once the oil is heated: add steak & veggies slowly
7. Fry around 3 minutes
8. Drain 
9 "Ka-bob" it however you like (put them on the skewers)   (: 


Adding the onion and green pepper gave my tangy marinade some extra flavor and cut down on the sweetness. It all mixed together really well; my husband even ate a few extra ones!  I now have an excuse to buy the stew meat when it's on sale.



1 comment: